- Aug 25, 2020
- Reaction score
Arkane has revealed that the original story of the Dishonored series is “complete”, but the franchise has not been put on hold, as per previous reports. In an interview with IGN Middle East, Arkane Studio’s Co-Creative Director Dinga Bakaba set the record straight about a previous quote from Arkane’s Ricardo Bare, who said in 2018 that Dishonored was “resting for now.” This led fans to believe that the future of the series was uncertain, with outlets reporting that the series had been put on hold. ”It’s weird because for us as a studio, we never did a sequel to a game we made before,” Bakaba told IGN Middle East. “It was interesting to make and everything, but the rumors of putting the IP on hold was highly exaggerated and was misquoted” [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2019/06/10/deathloop-cinematic-reveal-trailer-e3-2019"] Bakaba believes that Bare’s quote was ”over-interpreted.” “I don’t think there was a decision to put [the] Dishonored series on hold,“ he explained. While Arkane has wrapped up the storyline concerning Emily Kaldwin and Corvo Attano and believes the narrative to be complete, this doesn't mean that there can't be any more games in the Dishonored universe in the future. "It’s something where we had a story to tell about the Kaldwins and the Outsider, and that story is over,” he said “So, whatever happens, that Dishonored is complete. This is the best, and most honest answer we can give but, in any case, I don’t think we will be revisiting that [the Kaldwin storyline]. Bakaba goes on to explain that the decision not to revisit "that part" of the Dishonored world was a creative choice and speaks to Arkane's intentions as a studio. Bakaba goes on to explain that Arkane is "not a studio of one game, and I don't think we ever will be." In the years since Dishonored, we've seen Arkane turn to new projects like Prey, and supporting Machinegames in making Wolfenstein: Youngblood. [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2016/11/14/dishonored-2-review"] It’s unclear what’s next for Arkane as far as Dishonored is concerned, but this leaves the door open should they wish to return to the game’s atmospheric world in some respect. We also have Deathloop to look forward to, an action-adventure game directed by Bakaba himself. The game is yet to receive a release date, but we’ll be sure to update you if we hear anything more about it. In other Arkane news, footage of their cancelled Half-Life project ‘Ravenholm’ was recently revealed thanks to a Noclip documentary. [poilib element="accentDivider"] Jordan Oloman is a freelance writer for IGN absolutely desperate for another immersive sim from the masters at Arkane. Follow him on Twitter.